Holidays Are Everydays

I can remember when Holidays were special. I grew up in a small town, and when a Holiday came around the entire town shut down - the gas stations, the grocery stores, the dress shops and the restaurants - and everybody spent time with family and friends. But that's not the way it works anymore. Nowadays, some businesses stay open even on Christmas and Thanksgiving. We've even turned many Holidays into an excuse to shop and buy things ON SALE. Holidays don't seem so special anymore.

Take New Year's Day for example. I used to love watching the 4 big college bowl games on New Year's Day. Now the bowl games start right before Christmas and last for 3 weeks. Tonight is the BCS Championship game, and I don't even care. It's the last bowl game of the season and it seems almost anti-climactic to me. It's like number 10 of 10 and the Holidays are over and everyone has gone back to work. Ho hum.

I know that Holidays are what you make them, but sometimes I miss the old days.
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I totally agree with you - which is why I didn't get too involved in all the shopping frenzy this year. It's up to us to bring back the special part of the holidays, by just keeping it simple and stress free.


  2. Kathy Says:

    I miss the old days, too. Everything seemed so simple. I didn't get into the shopping thing this year, either, Cathi. I think it's time to start remembering what's really important during that time instead of going insane-er.


Related Posts with Thumbnails