Fourth of July

fw_4269

This year was my first attempt at taking pictures of fireworks with my Nikon D40. I researched the Internet, made a checklist of the camera settings I needed to make, and trekked off to take some fantastic pictures. It was a learning experience and I was a little disappointed with my results.

Here’s what I’ll do differently next time:

  1. Scope out a good location – we got all set up only to be told we had to move about 5 minutes before the show began. We ended up with street lights and utility wires blocking our view. Because of that I had to crop, and it looks kind of weird.
  2. Get closer – either in actual distance or focal point. I think I was afraid of getting TOO close.
  3. Not hold the shutter open so long – I think the shorter exposure times (3-6 seconds) were best.
  4. Make sure I refocus the camera once I move it and pay attention to the display screen!
  5. Pick a better fireworks show – in all but a couple of instances they only shot off one at a time.
3 Responses
  1. Nancy Says:

    What an experience, huh? At least you got some good shots. I like your list for next time. We had a great time. Thanks again!!


  2. Kathy Says:

    I just think these are great pictures!


  3. Lisa Says:

    The pictures are great. Now I feel I really got to see fireworks!!! Thanks for a wonderful day :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails