The Party’s Over

clock

We had a really nice June, falling only a couple of days short of tying a record for most consecutive days under 100 degrees. Things are heating up now!

broadtailed_3138

Yesterday was a wild day around the hummingbird feeders. The Boss, who I have decided is a Broad-Tail male, was roosting on the chain and chasing all the other hummingbirds away when they came up for a drink. This went on for several minutes. He was quite vocal about it, too. LISTEN.

costas_3192

This morning, I saw one of the other hummingbirds coming up for a drink just before the heat of the day set in. I decided to take the camera and see if I could get some pictures. I was able to get a few good shots that have helped me identify what I believe is a Costa's male. I had suspected this because of his flared neck feathers but hadn't been able to see the purple coloring until it was caught by the camera flash.

2 Responses
  1. Kathy Says:

    This is just awesome!! I really miss my hummingbirds this year. I don't know what happened here in S. Indiana. Maybe the cold Spring had something to do with it.


  2. Nancy Says:

    These are great shots!! You're so talented...not only with the camera, but with all the things you add to your blog and facebook pages. You're a wiz, Kid!


Related Posts with Thumbnails