The Little Prince

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Picture via imgfav

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I don't think I got around to reading it until I was in high school, but I like to pick it up and read it again now and then.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

All grown-ups were children first. (But few remember it).


Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: "What does his voice sound like?" "What games does he like best?" "Does he collect butterflies?". They ask: "How old is he?" "How many brothers does he have?" "How much does he weigh?" "How much money does his father make?" Only then do they think they know him. 


If you tell grown-ups, "I saw a beautiful red brick house, with geraniums at the windows and doves on the roof...," they won't be able to imagine such a house. You have to tell them, "I saw a house worth a hundred thousand francs." Then they exclaim, "What a pretty house!"  


"That is the hardest thing of all. It is much harder to judge yourself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself, it's because you're truly a wise man." 


"Language is the source of misunderstandings."   


"What makes the desert beautiful," says the little prince, "is that somewhere it hides a well." 

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
2 Responses
  1. Nancy Says:

    I never read this book..I will now. I love the quote about being responsible for what you tame. What a deep thought. And I like the one about the desert hiding a well....headed to the library!!


  2. Cathi Says:

    Wonderful book, Tracy! Thanks for the reminder....I need to get it out again and read it! Have a wonderful day, baby! XXOO


Related Posts with Thumbnails